Friday, June 20, 2008

The Quest

Bsd

This is the mission statement of this blog. So read it carefully.


Who am I? What am I?
These questions have answers and yet they have none.
Here’s a question:
What’s the difference between what I am and who I am? Aren’t they one, indivisible, a redundant repetition of a question whose answer is the same?
Here’s an answer:
No.
Who am I?
A soul bound within a body. A spark of G-d Himself, pure and eternal, beloved and whole.
What am I?
A girl who complains about never getting anything done and then never does anything about it. Only one of my mortal imperfections.
Who am I?
A Jewess, proud and fiery with my belief. I carry within me the hopes of my ancestors and my children will reap the fruits of their dreams.
What am I?
Never a true doubter, have I ever known the certainty that comes from asking questions, or do I merely follow the path that has been laid before me, only thinking that I have challenged and been satisfied?

I could fill pages, both with what I have been told about myself and what I consider my own unique discoveries.
I could describe the composition of my soul, the charting of my being, the essence I barely recognize.
I could describe the nuances of my character, the faults and wonders that I marvel over when I uncover them, astounded by the reality that this is me.

Does any of it answer the questions?
Who am I?
What am I?

In the quest to discover the answers, I doubt myself:
Does it matter?
In the quiet where I find the answers, I affirm:
I know it does.

If I am honest with myself, I will admit that I hate these questions. It is because I know the answers.
And knowing that I know the answers leaves me with no excuse for why I haven’t followed them through the course, through to action, through to change.

Who am I?
What am I?
I know!

On the quest, in the quiet, I cry:
“If I know, then why don’t I…?!”
In response, my soul turns over, and stubbornly returns to sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your problem lies in the quest itself.
The search for who you are as a person, your effect on the world around you, your effect on yourself, is a never-ending journey.

The solution to the problem however, is a simple one.
Along this twisted and mind boggling journey. One must take out all that has been learned and start a series of new sub-quests, ones, which will take you down new roads. To fix an imperfection found or strengthen a skill uncovered.

These sub-quests, when accomplished, are what truly answers the questions "Who am I" "What am I". WHO You are, is a captain navigating harsh waters in search for a deeper meaning and understanding. WHAT you are is defined by how you deal with the findings along this life long journey.

In understanding, that there is no single answer to these questions and no end to this quest. Lies to keys to its unlocking.

May Hashem bless you with clarity, for it is the most important tool that one can posses.
(p.s. Delete the first one sorry)

Menucha photography said...

very profound... i like it...

Menucha photography said...

please post!