Sunday, November 30, 2008

Silence

Bsd

I've been silent
no prayers,
no poems,
silent and lost in my own world
attempting to locate the next step
and take it.
I've been tempted
to break my silence
to speak out
about things that entertain me
                                worry me
                               annoy me
                                comfort me. 
I haven't. 
But this?
How can I not speak?
I spent the first night that I knew what happened
alone.
In a place where no one spoke.
Surrounded by Jews,
all of whom owe so much to Chabad,
and they were silent.
They were silent?
They were silent!
How can I not speak?
Tears rolling down my cheeks
hurting so much 
wanting only to move on
return to the petty, silly distractions
that had silenced me before. 
Ignore it like a paper cut. 
But this is no superficial wound. 
This is my family. 
I held a soft and lively baby this Shabbos. 
I read about a baby whose pants were soaked in his parents' blood.
My nephew's age. 
I read about a woman covered in a tallis.
The last act of a loving husband. 
Covering his slaughtered wife's body. 
How could this happen?
How could this happen,
and I remain silent?
Silent not only in word,
but in deed. 
All the pain in the world I express 
will do nothing for a mother
prematurely torn from her children.
For families bereaved. 
For a community destroyed. 
Gabi and Rivka don't care if I write a poem. 
The silence they wish me to break 
is far deeper than that of words. 

In memory of Rabbi Gabriel and Rivka Holtzberg, in their zechus, so that we may greet Moshaich this year, and reunite parents and children, I take upon myself to daven every day.


                                      

16 comments:

Sebastion said...

BSD

your words are inspiring and destroy the silence of many people. may we all merit to bring back the light ripped from this world.

Menucha photography said...

thank you ashirah, for voicing all of our wounds. the pain is so raw. i also wrote something on this.www.missferriswheel.blogspot.com

Just like a guy said...

Life stinks, huh?

Actually, I just wanted to subscribe to the comments. For what I actually think, go check out TRS. You'll find that, unlike Miss Ferris, when I link to something, I actually let people read it. Novel idea, eh?

Menucha photography said...

Well TRS, I just made it so that the blog isn't private anymore. And, that was before I read your comment. Also, I wasn't inviting everybody to check out a website that they wouldn't have access to, I was telling _Cheerio_(Ashirah) that she should.

chanie said...

No words. But you write well.

EndOfWorld said...

thank you for sharing. not everyone feels comfortable expressing such raw emotion

Just like a guy said...

End of World lives!!

EndOfWorld said...

amazing. i'm actually more amazed that cheerio is writing, being as she never picks up her cell phone calls anymore....

EndOfWorld said...

...which led me to believe that she was done with the blogging world. don't ask what one has to do with the other

Just like a guy said...

I'm simply awed. Of what? I don't know. That's hardly the point.

EndOfWorld said...

i hope you're joking

EndOfWorld said...

ARgh, if I have to hear another "why" today.....

EndOfWorld said...

I will have to start writing in caps. I'm not sure why I'm publishing before the thought is done. In any case, I hope cheerio appreciates the way the comment number is steadily climbing

Just like a guy said...

Oh, I'm sure she is happy. Who wouldn't be? If we could just move this bad boy over to TRS, than I could be happy too!

Cheerio said...

dude, don't be greedy! you have your fair share of commentors.
and endof, sorry about not returning the phone call! this was in part because i don't have a job, so i lead a rather vampiric sort of life... sleep all day, party all night... only return the calls of those who leave me voice messages...

Just like a guy said...

As the Boss always said, "He who has 100 wants 200".