Monday, December 29, 2008

In the Words of My Holy Sister, "The Spirit of Chanukah Continues On!". And So Will I.

Bsd
Chanuka is over. But I wanted to post this special story. And it's still relevant. So, enjoy, y'all!


Lights twinkled from the menorahs on the table, people conversed in corners, and kids ran around madly. It was a classic Chabad House Chanukah party, circa 1986. My mother stood by the door, carefully watching to make sure none of her kids ran outside. They had only moved to Berkeley two weeks before, and were staying in the Chabad House while they looked for an apartment. After living in Crown Heights for the past four years or so, being back in the Bay Area near her dad was great. My father had gotten a job managing the Chabad House he had been BT with, and here they were, celebrating their first Chanukah as a family in Berkeley.
In the back of the Chabad House, where the kids were playing, my one and a half year old sister was admiring the bright lights of a menorah that had been placed in a window. A window with a very low ledge. My sister reached out and plucked one of the pretty candles out of the menorah. Wax dripped from the candle onto her little hand, and she dropped it! It fell and lit her pretty polyester dress on fire.
Polyester burns fast. Really, really fast. My sister was aflame before anyone knew.
My brother Levi, who was three at the time, ran out to my parents, screaming, "Nechama's on fire! Nechama's on fire!"
My parents raced back to the room where she was. Some quick thinking person called 911 and 770. My father grabbed her and dumped her in the sink, thrusting her under the faucet and turning on the water, extinguishing the flames under the running water.
They rushed her to the hospital. She had three degree burns all across her chest and face.
The first miracle was that the doctors let my parents take her home. She had to be brought into the hospital every day in order to have her bandages changed, but she was home.
Thank G-d, the scars on her face faded almost immediately. But the damage to her chest was much deeper, and they scheduled surgery for two weeks after the fire. They were going to take tissue from her legs and graft it to her chest. Major surgery is always dangerous, but especially for toddlers. There is always the threat of them going under the anesthia and not waking up.
My parents wrote and called into the Rebbe for a bracha, of course, and took her to the surgery.
The surgeon came into the pre-op room to examine my sister for the surgery scheduled for later that day.
Result?
She doesn't need it.
That was miracle number two.
It took three months or so for my sister to be fully recovered. Today, no one would ever be able to tell she'd ever had such a thing happen to her, unless you look closely at her left earlobe. There is still a little scar there.
That was our family Chanukah miracle.
And that, about 21 years or so later, my sister went out with her husband for the first time on the seventh night of Chanukah... but maybe I'll save that (and the song we made up in the dorm about it) for next year...
Happy Chanukah!

28 comments:

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. It was well written, and one of those good ol' Rebbe stories that makes you proud-and lucky, to be a Chossid.

I'd love to hear the song sometime ;)

le7 said...

Good story.

Yeah, lyrics lady. Right now. I'm waiting. Hurry it up.

Just like a guy said...

Subscribing...

le7 said...

TRS - Talk about lame. You can't even come up with something to cover up that you're just subscribing?

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
I think he wants to show us that we're boring without him...

le7 said...

Or something.

Shape up Mister TRS!

Just like a guy said...

It's a story. A nice story. What do you want me to say?

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
See what i mean?

le7 said...

Fine. I didn't think this through.

Just like a guy said...

Fab gal: one of the advantages of being as simple as I am is that those types of thoughts never even cross my mind.

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
I had a feeling you were going to say that or something along those lines.

Cheerio, isn't such a wonderful feeling to have a story of your "own"? There's something very rewarding in it...

Cheerio said...

for some reason, i can't remember the lyrics! been too many years since i sang it. i'll have to do some research and get back to you guys. it's a cute song.

Just like a guy said...

As if having a miracle story of your own brands you as a chassid?
In lubavitch they had miracles rolling around under the tables that no one bothered to pick up...

EndOfWorld said...

someone sounds jealous....

Just like a guy said...

Don't worry, I have stories...

EndOfWorld said...

i'll see your stories and raise you tales!

Just like a guy said...

Translate please.

EndOfWorld said...

it seems like we're having a one upmanship here. I merely said that I see your cards, and I'm raising the stakes...

Just like a guy said...

Many games I can play, but poker isn't one of them. Please explain what you want from me, and I'll try to deliver.

le7 said...

Poker isn't hard. It just brings out one's base side.

Just like a guy said...

And as we all know, I don't have any of those.

EndOfWorld said...

I don't know how to play poker either. I just have a variety of expressions in my word bank that I pull out at random.

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
Ever play dreidle poker? You can make big bucks with that...

Cheerio said...

TTTO "Shloime'le!"
"It was Chanukah, the 7th light
Nechama's eyes were shining bright,
The steering wheel he turned sharply
Their hearts were beating rapidly

Suddenly, a cry was heard
She fell in the mud, it matched his beard
He looked behind and to his dismay
He fell in the mud, Oy Vey!

At 22 he went away
To meet his Kallah without delay
Changing his name to Mushky
As Shlomo he could not be

Their parents davened for them each date
For their engagement they could not wait.
Their excitement grew day by day
And their phone bill, the same way

The light in their eyes never dimmed,
She couldn't get enough of him.
Spreading the new secretly,
It spread through the dorm openly

To the dentist, Nechama was forced to go,
THE ONLY CURE WAS SHLOMO
He davened at the Amud in Berkeley,
Cheeks burning furiously.

In yeshiva their brothers ate.
While Nechama and Shlomo continued to date,
Not knowing a single thing,
Until the cell went ring, ring.

In happiness she saw a gleam,
It was a gift from Mama Rothstein.
To Shlomo she said thank you,
Through ShlomoRo2000@yahoo

She starts to hope, oh could it be,
Will he really marry me?
Oy vey Hashem please help me.
SHLOIME'LE!
Shloime'le, you're prefect for me!"

this was the song i promised.

le7 said...

Haha. Thanks.

Farbrengen said...

BS"D
This is such a girl dorm song.
I love it.
Classic.

Anonymous said...

lol. i hope she doesn't know about this...

(too lazy and tired to sign in)

-endofworld

Sebastion said...

I love the poem! :)