Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Late Night... Er, Early Morning Contemplations

B"H
It's a beautiful morning. The sky is gradually lightening to an eggshell blue as the day dawns. Soon, the morning dew will evaporate from the leaves of trees and grasstems, as the sun burns ever brighter. The eggshell blue overhead will darken to a brilliant azure.
It's 6:43 Am.
I haven't yet been to sleep.
Such behavior leads to various results:
1) Heightened sense of humor - at this point, everything is funny, including the two finals that I have not yet studied for, and my friend who is asleep on the floor of the computer room.
2) Tendency to stare off in the distance, searching for words - at this point, English is no longer my first language. I'm not sure what is, though.
3) Belly-button contemplating - this involves deep philosophical thinking, the kind that only occurs during the wee hours of the morning.
It's a known rule that the best conversations take place at 3 Am, and the best contemplation occurs approximately three hours later. Unfortunately, the conversations usually exhaust the participants, and the oppurtunity to make use of this maximal contemplation time is sadly wasted.
It's a wonderful thing that I have the fortuity to be able to take advantage of this prime contemplation time.
Let's not waste a minute.

I have been dreaming. Snatches of dreams that run through later thoughts and present themselves as memories. I have dreamed so strong that walking down a street in Jerusalem caused me to catch my breath in familiarity.
My dreams are a gift. I do not dream every night. I treasure those times when I awake, the sweetness of a dream still on my tongue.
Are dreams truth? Or just recycled images, wasted sounds, that a powerful mind has stored up to release upon the subconscious?
There are stories of others - people just like myself, neither saint nor prophet - who have dreamed true.
But I?
My dreams?
Sometimes, they seem to be whispers from other worlds, spoken in the language of my other lives. At othertimes, they are mundane and foolish.
Perhaps they are the mistranslations of messages from my eternal Soul.

1 comments:

Lei-Lei said...

Ashira! Youre writing is totally amazing and inspirational! i love you so much!
leiei