Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years

Bsd
I didn't even know what day it was today. I rushed out to babysit this morning, too tired to turn on my computer. I don't own a radio or a TV. I don't get a daily newspaper. It was any other day to me, one of those funny fall days, where the sky hasn't decided if it wants to be sunny or cloudy, and the air brings with it a taste of winter crispness.
I came home and ate lunch, lolling on my bed, eating sushi and reading a novel. Knowing that I had to return to my babysitting job in a few minutes, I decided to get my first internet fix of the day. And that's how I remembered it was September 11th.
After debating the value of personal remembrances of historical events with a fellow blogger, it seems appropriate to share my own:
September 11, 2001
6:30 AM
The voices from my radio alarm stream through my subconscious until, with a groan, I awaken. Immediately, I realize something is wrong. I'm thirteen, and I don't know what the World Trade Center is. Still in my pajamas, dazed with sleep, unsure of what has happened, I walk quietly down the stairs to my parents' room. My mother sits in her bed, my brother curled up next to her, eyes on the small television that she keeps in her room.
The towers are burning.
8:30 AM
I stand on the lawn in front of my friend's house, backpack in its customary position on my back, feet cold from the morning dew that still lies wet on the grass. We've gathered for our carpool, and are now waiting for our parents to find out if there is school today. If there was a fourth plane. If there are threats on San Francisco. I can't imagine going to school. I can't imagine not going.
10:30 Am
The principal of my school stands at the podium, leading us in saying Tehillim. Twenty five kids sit on shul benches, saying Tehillim. Half of them don't even know why. They won't know until they're old enough to learn about today in history class.
4:30 PM
Driving across the Bay Bridge, Daniel decides that the man driving the gasoline truck next to us is an Arab, and we're all going to die. None of us believe him - but we're not quite sure he's wrong, either.
6:30 PM
My sister calls from Chicago. There are girls crying in her dorm, for uncles and aunts who were in the Towers. We hear the first miracle story from her, the first "I stopped to give tzedakah/drive my kid to school/learn a little/make a phone call/missed the train/lost my job and it saved my life" story. But there are still girls crying.

My kids will never know that you used to be allowed to walk people to the gate and hug them before they went on the plane and watch as that plane taxied down the runway and flew into the air.
Unless I tell them.
Tell your story.

29 comments:

Rachel said...

About the gasoline truck... I know someone who STILL insists on pointing out every time we pass one on the freeway that gasoline trucks are an easy tool for terrorists. (That ain't a fun thought when you're stuck next to it in traffic.)

Just like a guy said...

Seems like everybody has their own paranoia.

Rachel said...

Eh. I think poli. sci. professors breed that sort of paranoia. At least that's where my paranoid friend gets it from. I prefer to think of gasoline truck drivers as illegal (but, for the most part, harmless) immigrants.

Just like a guy said...

Here in Minnesota we got good Norwegians driving our gas trucks.
The bigger issue is of course not trucks, but rather our society's response to 9/11. I'm not so pretentious that I'll deal with this issue on my own; rather, someone state an opinion, and I'll vehemently disagree with it. That should be fun.

Rachel said...

Norwegians, eh? Here in L.A. we've got... well I'm not really allowed to say, because really, here in L.A., if you state the name of another race you risk being tagged a racist. Go figure. :)

TRS, it's ALL about the trucks. Re-post and comment.

Just like a guy said...

Trucks? What's there to say about trucks?

Rachel said...

What kind of question is that? There is plenty to say about trucks. Just this morning a garbage truck almost reversed right into my car (and about five others). It's issues like these that the government needs to be addressing rather than focusing their attention on Iraq and nuclear weapons. So next time, think again before berating the truck issue with silly questions like "What's there to say about trucks?"

Just like a guy said...

Your personal troubles notwithstanding, I am of the belief that trucks are in fact wonderful creations, especially garbage trucks.

Rachel said...

Wonderful only in matters of hygienic convenience and necessity. Otherwise, they're merely an added obstacle to morning traffic and pollution.

Just like a guy said...

"only in matters of hygienic convenience and necessity"

Sounds pretty good to me!

Rachel said...

I can feign disagreement, but eh, I agree with you. That sort of brings this quasi-argument to an abrupt end.

Just like a guy said...

Dang, it was just getting interesting.

Anonymous said...

nice to come across your blog. well done. well written.

and keep doing tzedakah. it is the only antidote to terror and hell.

arnie draiman
www.mitzvahheroesfund.org
www.draimanconsulting.com

EndOfWorld said...

Cheerio, I'm really disappointed. You had some excellent current 9/11 fodder (think: supper with homemade pizza), and instead you focus on the past. sigh. you must move on, my friend.

Just like a guy said...

Home made pizza and invited I was not? For shame!

EndOfWorld said...

there's still some in the fridge. but if I tell you what kind of topping I used, you'll probably back out...quickly.

Just like a guy said...

Nu?

EndOfWorld said...

I can't just tell you now. That would be so ...so...anti-climatical. Try to guess. What's the most unmanly topping you can think of

Just like a guy said...

Anti-climatical? That is...so...ungrammatical! (Cue the valley girl laughter)

Most unmanly topping possible? Sequins?

EndOfWorld said...

*rolled up eyes*
I'll ignore the jab.

Okay...sequins is a good guess. Do you know that some people pronounce them as "sequence"?

However, the day I start decorating pizza with little plastic sparkly stuff, is the day I'll invite you over, and let you take home the leftovers.
Try again

Cheerio said...

end of, let's try another hint: trs, think of the most berkeley topping possible...(ok, well the MOST, but the second most).

Just like a guy said...

I see; only if the food is inedible to I get a taste?
Let me think...so Cheerio said it's not weed...hmm, the second most Berkeley topping...Ooh, ooh, I know what it is! Little pieces of George W. Bush rubber devil masks! Oh, Yummy!

EndOfWorld said...

Haha, not weed. That is a berkley topping alright.

Okay, I'll tell you. It was stir fried red peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoe sauce, spices....and tofu.

There you have it. Tofu. BTW,cheerio, it's all your fault. I was going to do a chicken supper, but when you factor in the vegetarian (your side of the equation) and the lactose intolerant (my side of the equation), that's what you end up with. But it did taste good, right?....right? (waits with bated breathe for confirmation)

Just like a guy said...

Tofu is good in hot and sour soup. Pizza? Not so much. And anyway, good to hear that Cheerio is a vegetarian.

EndOfWorld said...

oh, she's not. her roommate is

Just like a guy said...

Oh, interesting.

Sebastion said...

Your view of the entire 9/11 situation is very moving. Very personal rather than polemic or nationalistic. The focus on the people is beautiful! :)

Menucha photography said...

wow..beautiful piece, ash. endofworld:do you happen to be ash's roomate?also, its hilarious! last night i made homeade pizza too, and no the toppings didnt consist of weeed, being that i live in berkeley.

Anonymous said...

menuch: nope

Cheerio: I'm bored of reading this post over and over. PostPostPost!