Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter and the Geulah

Bsd

I went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince tonight with a few friends. I grew up with those books, and so I feel like I have to see the movies. Hated the Order of the Phoenix, both book and movie, but this one was rather good. Funny and tender and scary and sad, and I left the theater remembering why I liked the series, and of course, wanting to read the seventh book again, to remind myself of everything that happens.
I had a chavrusa with a friend today, the first time I've learned anything in months. We just went through a short sicha, a simple one, which talked about Geulah. The true and complete redemption. And then I went and watched Harry Potter.
I got home from the theater and no matter that it was 3 in the morning, I sat down with my roommate's copy of the Deathly Hallows and started to read. But it's late and I was tired, so I skipped to the end, to Harry's victory over Tom Riddle, and then the epilogue. Nineteen years later.
When I read that the first time, I was disappointed. It all happened so fast! One minute Voldemort stood there, and they were in the thick of battle and Fred and Remus and Tonks had died, and then he was dead, just a shriveled shell of a body, and then Harry stood with his kids at the train station. Just like that.
"His scar hadn't twinged in nineteen years. All was well."
I read it tonight and I almost cried.
A world where all is well?
It's a dream that hurts because it's been promised a reality.
Harry Potter's world is all well, but we're still fighting our good fight.

12 comments:

Altie said...

1st reaction to title- oh wow, how can u connect the 2.

loved the books, saw movies 1 and 2, didnt like them. not as great as book. probably not gonna see this one, despite the hoopla about it.

interesting thought. i liked how it all worked well in the end. ya, it was a bit fast. but that is reality. in real life, when something happens, good or bad, we dont have time to adjust to it. if someone dies, they are gone. theres no in between.

harry potters world is well. now. but if u read back to book one, he is still being tortured by his cousin dudly. try it. flip back and forth, back and forth. voldamort is here, and now he's not. a book will forever remain the same. frozen in time. a charecter may die, but he is always right there.

when our reality changes, it will be so much better than that. so much more real. there wont be any sad times to remember, cuz itll all be good. a perfect world. hard to imagine. hard to wish for, to hope for, after so long. but to give up on it- even harder.

le7 said...

Chanan better not read this! I'm trying to get him to read the 7th book!

Just like a guy said...

Read what?

e said...

In real life, it's never happily ever after. Except for some lucky bts.

Just like a guy said...

Like le7.

le7 said...

When will it be happily ever after?

Just like a guy said...

Soon.

bonne said...

Happily ever after? So boring.
Strong words Cheerio, I liked this post a lot.

Cheerio said...

happiness forever is moshiach, people. very exciting.

Altie said...

tell us what its like

Leigh Est said...

Whenever people ask nme why I read Harry Potter, I tell them that it's because it reminds me of the fight we have to fight, and golus... it's nice to know I'm not the only one
lov this post :)

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

DOn't, chanan, it's overrated.