Thursday, October 1, 2009

Definitions

Bsd


Walking down President St
Harlequin Historical in my hand,
and yes, that's who I am,
the girl with the bodice ripper and neckline covered,
the girl with the baby that's not mine and the boy next to me who's not my brother,
and I'm telling someone that she should think of living in Crown Heights
as if she's just living in Brooklyn,
like half the gay/black/hippie-ster people in my school
Replay that:
What?
Crown Heights isn't Brooklyn.
And that's not just who I am.
We talked today about definitions and where we were.
I said - we have to constantly redefine.
Redefine
and
Redefine
and Redefine.
Or we're dead.
Balanced on a thin edge,
and tipping over.
I'm not that girl.
Or at least I might not be, tomorrow.

12 comments:

Altie said...

Constantly moving and changing, as times do, as situations do. Don't let yourself become an entry in a dictionary, forever set in stone. And don't let anyone define you, you define yourself.

Feivel ben Mishael said...

had to use google to find out what a bodice or harlequine historical is.
o_0

I don't get the redefine thing.
Why can't I try to meet the same definition every day?

Altie said...

Cuz then you are just the same you every day. The point is to strive to be a better you, the BEST you, not the same old you.

e said...

Aha. The cheerio truth is beginning to come out.

Just like a guy said...

The truth will set you free?

bonne said...

I know bodice, but what's a bodice ripper?
Anyways, very nice.

Feivel ben Mishael said...

wikipedia:

"The success of these novels prompted a new style of writing romance, concentrating primarily on historical fiction tracking the monogamous relationship between a helpless heroine and the hero who rescued her, even if he had been the one to place her in danger.[6] The covers of these novels tended to feature scantily clad women being grabbed by the hero, and caused the novels to be referred to as "bodice-rippers."[66] A Wall St. Journal article in 1980 referred to these bodice rippers as "publishing's answer to the Big Mac: They are juicy, cheap, predictable, and devoured in stupefying quantities by legions of loyal fans."[70] The term bodice-ripper is now considered offensive to many in the romance industry."

A bodice ripper is a type of book not an article of clothing. A Harlequin Historical is a bodice ripper.

I never knew anyone read those books I thought that they sit on the shelf at the bookstore for all of eternity.

Thank you internets!

Altie said...

lol. shows how little you know.

Feivel ben Mishael said...

While that is true I would estimate that 99 percent of people in my demographic have no idea what these things are.

Altie said...

And which percent of that is female?

Feivel ben Mishael said...

0.0 percent.

Altie said...

so only the males are un-knowledgeable in that area.