Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Disney Movies Are Strange.

Bs"d

I babysat tonight, as a favor for a friend. She had a wedding in New Jersey, I don't work in the afternoons, her sister is no longer available to babysit because she just got married... So, even though I'm no longer sixteen (despite looking like it) and I'm no longer in high school (despite acting like it (I had the best time acting like I was still in high school with my friend this past Friday night. We giggled, invented strange animals (the Shiraffe - available soon in toy stores near you, although probably not the ones on Kingston), and skipped - yes, skipped - down the street)), I babysat tonight. 
What that consisted of was watching a lot of Disney movies on Youtube. (Hey, I was tired! I had to babysit last night, too. But for work. My real job. Which is essentially playing house, in someone else's house. Doing someone else's dishes, sorting through someone else's receipts, bathing someone else's kid, ironing someone else's husband's pants.... It's actually kind of enjoyable. I just wish it were my own house... Infer from that what you will, folks). 
What all that Disney-movie-watching led to was this conclusion:
Disney movies are strange.
All the subliminal messages... all the psychedelic songs... all the anthropomorphism....
Strange. Neil Gaiman strange. Kids-are-going-to-grow-up-seriously-twisted-because-they -watched-this strange.  
Take Dumbo - the people who made Dumbo were on drugs. There is no denying it. There's this one scene where Dumbo gets drunk or something and has a "dream". A dream. Riiiight. Go find that clip and watch it and tell me those animators weren't high as kites!
And Bambi. Has anyone watched Bambi? The entire second half of the movie is just animals making out! My sister was uncomfortable letting my nephew watch Cars, because she thought there was too much of a sexual undercurrent.  Ha! Has she ever seen Bambi? I don't think so!
Of course, like all good, strange stuff, the old Disney movies were also beautiful. They were works of art. Paintings made alive. The closest I've seen in beauty is Wall-E. It shares in common with old Disney films two things: A lot more silence than we're used to in a kid's movie, and a lot more beauty. 
Beautiful and strange. 
Disney. 
Huh. 

21 comments:

Just like a guy said...

So why exactly were you watching Disney movies?

Leigh Est said...

Haha this is SO true! As an obsessed disney fan, I can tell you that after watching all of these movies about 600 times, theres plenty of stuff there. If you ever get a chance, watch Peter Pan , the part where peter and wendy are standing on Big Ben. As they are about to fly off... pause and look closely for the writing on the wall... :) it's pretty intense.
There are SO many subliminal messages in EVERY movie...Aladin especially, AND Alice And Wonderland. Eat me, Drink Me, shrinking and growing... that isn't innocent kiddy stuff.
I totally agree with your sister, although I doubt I would stop watching Disney stuff.
it's really sad, because I grew up LOVELing this, it was so innocent and fun...haaa. When I watch them now, it's actually overwhelming to realize how much JUNK there is in all of this stuff!
And I believe this is now the longest comment I've ever left on your blog :)

Leigh Est said...

Haha this is SO true! As an obsessed disney fan, I can tell you that after watching all of these movies about 600 times, theres plenty of stuff there. If you ever get a chance, watch Peter Pan , the part where peter and wendy are standing on Big Ben. As they are about to fly off... pause and look closely for the writing on the wall... :) it's pretty intense.
There are SO many subliminal messages in EVERY movie...Aladin especially, AND Alice And Wonderland. Eat me, Drink Me, shrinking and growing... that isn't innocent kiddy stuff.
I totally agree with your sister, although I doubt I would stop watching Disney stuff.
it's really sad, because I grew up LOVELing this, it was so innocent and fun...haaa. When I watch them now, it's actually overwhelming to realize how much JUNK there is in all of this stuff!
And I believe this is now the longest comment I've ever left on your blog :)

fakewood inc. said...

ever since i was a kid i found disney movies creepy unless i was a little high.

Cheerio said...

TRS - i was babysitting. sitting with the baby (little boy) and watching movies.
Leigh - shiver. i'm scared. (love the long comments :)

bonne said...

I had a converstaion about this with you, right? Or perhaps it was someone else...lol.
Disney is tricky indeed. I bet they get a real kick out of all this.

Menucha photography said...

ur so nice ash!! u saved my sister!! did u babysit for m and m? or just junior m? yeah its funny senior m is obsessed with alladin and dumbo and the like;)

Cheerio said...

m and m - it was fun :) little m is such an imp. and big imp and me cuddled on the couch. it was nice :)

Menucha photography said...

aww they probably love you!!;) i can just imagine big imp cuddling wit u;) hes such a smoosh!!

Just like a guy said...

Any bot who is "such a smoosh!!" needs to start playing cops and robbers with some other boys. Now.

Menucha photography said...

come.on. hes my nephew, of course he's "such a smoosh"!

Just like a guy said...

poor kid. not for being your nephew (I have no idea who either of you are), but for being a smoosh. Of course, my niece does call me "Chuncle" (if you knew me this would be funny).

Menucha photography said...

even tho i dont know you its still funny;)

Just like a guy said...

You know my name then?

menuch said...

nope

Just like a guy said...

So why do you think this funny or cute?

Menucha photography said...

actually i think i might know your name. the boy version of chana? and even if i didnt know, "chuncle" just happens to be a cute name.

Just like a guy said...

Not the boy version of Chana, but yes, it's Chanan.

Menucha photography said...

;) i said that cuz i wasn't sure if you wanted me to broadcast your name on the blog...

Just like a guy said...

I appreciate your doing so. Of course, at this point, almost everyone in this little corner of the blogosphere knows me pretty well anyway...

Anonymous said...

Hysterically true!