Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In Other News....

I went shopping in Target today, and was quite satisfied with my purchases. Oooh, and the purple quilted flats I bought at Payless for ten bucks. I'll have to pop those up on Hip in the Heights. 

I ran into a friend of mine that I haven't seen recently. 
She got married. 
I went to her house once, for dinner. It was nice. We hung out on the couch, oohing and aahing over shoes. Her husband played us salsa music so she could try to teach me to dance (it didn't really work. I need a lot more time to learn a dance than fifteen minutes.). 
But I haven't really seen her since. Oh, here and there, a lchaim, a phone call. But we haven't had time together, had  a really good chat. 
And this is a good friend. When something life altering happened to me, she was one of the first people to know. 
Another very close friend just got married, and another is engaged. 
I'm not there yet. Not yet ready for that. 
But almost. 
Soon. 
Sometimes, it kills me. The mystery of married life. I know so much about it, but there's only so much you can learn from observing, from listening, from reading. There are some things that only experience can prove. 
    
* * * * *

Last week was hard. I don't know why. Now I look back, and I see it was good. Feeling sad last week was the kick in the butt I needed to get myself moving again. To see that for the first time this year, I have structure, and it is so good. 
I'm not a naturally sad person. The opposite, in fact. I'm naturally happy, optimistic, a believer. I don't have to do much to be that way. G-d gifted me. 
So when I do feel sad, that sweeping undertow of sorrow, the waves of loss, (I hate when I get overly wrapped up in my metaphors) - when I feel sad like that, I need to take action. I can no longer let my life flow along, relying on my good nature to keep things pleasant. I need to act. To change. To do - to do all those positive things that bring good feeling and the joy of satisfaction with them. 
So I did. 
Thanks to the support and wise words of my friends and family, despite the fact that last week was one of the saddest of recent times, it was also one of the best. 

7 comments:

Just like a guy said...

Re: marriage: we're all waiting...

Re: blogging: when it rains it pours, eh?

bonne said...

Mmm, yes. I'm sorry you were sad but glad it revealed itself as a good thing.
Shall we conquer the world now?

EndOfWorld said...

if you focus so much on the mystery of marriage, you loose out on the mystery of now....

Menucha photography said...

you're writing is frankly awesome.

le7 said...

Hmmm I gotta get out of that....

EOW - Excellent point.

Cheerio said...

Sarabonne: yes, Brain!
Endof - part of the mystery of now is the agonizing over the mystery of the future....

Cheerio said...

menuch - thanks for your support, as always!