Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm Back

It rained tonight, and my living room felt like a boat. The fan stirred cool air over our heads and the windows shouldered the blows of the raindrops. I've been waiting for the hideous muggy weather that New York is supposedly blessed with in the summer time, but so far it has yet to appear. I'm praying that there will be a miracle (or as the people in my home town call it, some serious global warming), and that this cool, sunny, sometimes a little humid stuff will stick around.


I read a book tonight, one of my favorites, one of the only books that I read twice in a row, one time right after the other. I remember the first time I read it. I sat curled up on the couch on our front porch, on a lazy afternoon. I read the book, closed it, paused, opened it and read it all over again. It was just that good. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. She has authored some of my favorite books, but this book is of a different caliber. It is one of the books that made me want to write.

I was thinking about something I wanted to write down today and then realized that I couldn't write it, because who knows, the person I wanted to write about might read it someday. As unlikely as that is, I've taken note of the hard lesson other bloggers have learned. There have been other things I wanted to write that I have chosen not to voice here, because here I am known. People I know and love read this and because of that, there are just some things I cannot say. Part of me thought that and envied those who write anonymously. But then I think about everything I've gained from being open about who I am. I blog for the connection just as much as the expression. And if I have to sacrifice brutal honesty for that, I will.


12 comments:

Just like a guy said...

Yup, it's all about connecting. Nice to see you blogging again!

Cheerio said...

that was fast!

Cheerio said...

you are probably one of the most dedicated bloggers i know!

Just like a guy said...

I try.

Altie said...

lol. its nice to see u writing again. i followed ur blog a long time ago, and there was no movement till now, i was getting worried!

and i know how u feel abt writing things knowing there are ppl i know who'll read them. when my friends started reading my blog i got nervous, and almost stopped wrting. but then i said, i'll write what i want, and they'll accept it.

then they stopped reading my blog and it was all good.

keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Glad your back :)

le7 said...

Glad you're back! I wonder what it was you wanted to write about??

bonne said...

YEAH! She's back! Re. honesty...I'm so with you there.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!* :) sorry.

e said...

You like this weather? Non-stop rain and cloudiness? I'm not sure if this is any better than the usual New York oppressive humidity.

anon: thanks for caring.

Cheerio said...

i just wanted to complain about something my boss had me do.
i don't really know who reads my blog... my whole family knows about it, but doesn't really read it.
but then i have these random people who read either my fashion blog or this one, but never comment and dont follow, and so when i find out they read it, i feel like i'm being stalked.

Leigh Est said...

Welcome back :)