Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Time

I worked my last official day at my morning job today.
Despite the fact that it's almost the end of June, that means that tomorrow will be my first day of summer. (Now if it would only stop raining...).
Tomorrow is the first new day I'll have had in months.
I'm thinking of disregarding everything I know about my personality and my weaknesses, and instead of finding a new morning job, I'm going to spend the summer mornings writing.
And more importantly, sending those writings in anywhere I think I might be able to get published.
I've planned on doing that for so long, so many times.
I don't think I'm going to do it this time.
All the other times, I was convinced, THIS time would be the one.
Now, I have lost faith in myself.
But I cannot give up.
If I don't even pretend to have hope for myself, where will I be?

(PS. I apologize for writing such a demoralizing post. I'm just getting in touch with my dark side.)

15 comments:

Just like a guy said...

Nice. We believe in you. Go get 'em!

mims said...

i like the dark side. let's quit our jobs entirely and hang out in your house reading and brooding

Just like a guy said...

That would be quite the accomplishing summer.

Anonymous said...

you can do it!

e said...

Give it a shot. If it works, great. And if it doesn't, nu, so you'll start looking for another job then.

C said...

Good luck!!!

Menucha photography said...

i'm rooting for u ash!!!! come visit!!!

Cheerio said...

mims - i like this idea. reading and brooding is so much more invigorating when done in the company of another reader/brooder.
everyone else - thanks for the encouragement!

bonne said...

Perhaps you should take a writing course, I've done so many paintings this year simply because I had class.

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

..I haven't heard of anyone "making it" in writing without taking anything remotely similar to creative writing in college..

Just like a guy said...

Mark twain.

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

TRS: ok, in the past century!

e said...

Do Yair Weinstock and Libby Lazenwick have training in writing? None of the staff at chabad.org were trained in writing, and they're writing is just fine.

Fact is, if you're stuff is good it'll get published. Especially in the Jewish world.

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Isaac Asimov
L. Sprague De Camp
Edgar Rice Borrougs
Jonathan Burton
David Pogue

All of whom are/were professional authors and most of them got filthy rich at it.

Cheerio said...

you guys are so cool.
now i can quote all those who defended me to my parents.