Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Life as An Indentured Servant by Ashirah Welton

Bsd

I've been living on my sister's couch in Nashville for a month, and now my sentence here is very nearly up. It's been a great month, full of nephewing and nieceing, with an emphasis on the nephewing. One of my accomplishments has been becoming my nephew's best friend. These are cucial times, when you must gather your fuel for the future. I mean, I've got to have something to embarrass the kid with when he's a hulking sixteen year old bochur!
"Oy, I remember when I used to wipe your bottom!" "You used to pish in the tub whenever I gave you a bath!" "Your first word was 'shoes'!"
That kind of stuff. Or, as an honored colleague of mine would phrase it, "shtuff".
As for Nashville - from what I've seen of it, it seems to be a fairly interesting, entertaining place. Of course, the farthest I've been allowed from my sister's home in three weeks is the local Kroger's. Oooh boy, that was a grand adventure! Ever tried shopping with a 19 month old? By the time you leave the store, they've eaten or destroyed half your purchases!
There are benefits to accompanying a toddler, however. Everyone is nice to you. Everyone smiles, and says, "Hey."(It is the South.) And there is no greater satisfaction than being the one who taught your nephew how to turn the water faucet on.
Another of my favorite activities was devising as many possible arrangements of his hair as I could imagine would bug my sister. I tried the Sikh bun on top of his head, the girlish ponytails, the palm tree/fountain pony... I haven't tried horns yet, but I've still got a few more days!
I have heard about Nashville a lot. Second or even third hand experiences are better than none. (If I keep telling myself that, I might actually believe it eventually.) Nashville is officially in the South. Redneckville. Evangelical Christianville. "Watch out cuz they're coming over to see if you have horns"-ville. Land of the Mega Churches and country music. Can you imagine a more wonderful place to be?
By far the most entertaining second hand experience I had here was discovering the Anti-Fat People Church.
This is a church whose prophet (a woman, who also has told them that women can't hold positions of authority and must submit to the men. Killing off the competition?) has decided that Brentwood (a local neighborhood) is the Promised Land (what's interesting is that Nashville has also become a mecca for various Muslim nationalities, but more on that later). They also believe that fat people are evil devil worshippers. (That is not -sic-, but it sounds good.)
Why?
Because this woman started out running workout programs for churches, before deciding to create her own religion out of her program. Hence, the existence of the Anti-Fat People Church.
It's the religion custom-made for Los Angeles. Or at least Beverly Hills and the Valley. And maybe Malibu as well.
Then there's the Kurds, Palestinians, Iranians, Bahai, Sudanese, (fill in your favorite Islamic group here), that have all gathered in and around Nashville. So you've got white evangelical Christian rednecks, and displaced refugee Muslims. And Jews. Fun, fun, fun!
I can't think of a way to end this, but neither can I think of anything else to say. Which is unfair. Because there's plenty more to say. Like how my sister's neighbor drove her to the hospital Friday night because she was in labor, and later we spied his wife wearing a pro-Palestinian t-shirt.
Or how there were only two kinds of dads playing with their kids at the park: hip, cool, tattooed, pierced, spiked hair dads, or crisp buttoned up shirt, tie wearing, military haircut, shiny shoes dads.
Or the fact that people here actually say, "Y'all." And don't laugh self consciously afterwards.
But tomorrow is Erev Shabbos, and the freshmen are arriving, and we've got Shabbos to cook, and I've got solo nephew and niece duty cuz my mommy is gone, and... and... and my brain is currently melting from lack of sleep and I only wrote this to make SOME VERY IMPATIENT PERSON ENTERTAINED. And I have another post I want to write tomorrow in honor of Shabbos.
So.
The End.

64 comments:

Anonymous said...

here's a good quote for your side bar

Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink and sing
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength and breath;
And the want
of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die.

-- William Blake

Just like a guy said...

Tell that VERY IMPATIENT PERSON who is in want of ENTERTAINMENT to go learn something. Not that he will, but it might result in some cute dialogue, like, "What are you, my wife or something?"

Just like a guy said...

I won't even bother explaining anymore...

Cheerio said...

won't even bother explaining WHAT? think its pretty clear ;)

Anonymous said...

hmm wer did it go? i thought it was cute...

Cheerio said...

where did what go? i'm tired of everyone being so cryptic!

Anonymous said...

the poem i deemed personal, maybe slightly disconserting, but cute

Cheerio said...

so are you demanding its return?

Anonymous said...

demanding? that was the reason i said i wasnt going to read it. cos it was personal. anyway u obviously didn't take it down for nothing ...

Just like a guy said...

Too many comments here on some incomprehensible poetry, and not enough on the substance of the post, which was quite a good one.

Anonymous said...

i wouldnt say it was incomprehensable, it was very well written

Anonymous said...

lol jk old joke, but yeh this post was pretty good actually

Just like a guy said...

William Blake is considered to be the greatest artist that England produced. Saying that his poem is well written is like saying that Brett Favre knows how to throw footballs pretty well.
Anyway, maybe I'm just dense, but I still didn't get it.

And what's this "lol jk old joke"?

Anonymous said...

LOL yeh, just that wanabe loves poetry.

Anonymous said...

trust me i dont get it iether, but wanabe does aparently

Just like a guy said...

You know Mrs. Wannabe? I'm fascinated.

Cheerio said...

trs, you'd know what we were talking about if you'd read all my old posts when i invited you to!
as for you, D, that "jk" better not be attached to the compliment of my writing.you don't get to be kidding about that!
and trs - not satisfied with the comments? add some more of your own! this post was in your merit, after all.

Cheerio said...

great. in the time it took me to type my last comment with one hand (the other being occupied by baby), D has managed to throw me into complete and utter confusion and made me question everything i know (about this conversation, at least).

Just like a guy said...

What was that about? What don't you understand now?
And please, explain this "jk", or at least provide a link for me to read up on it.

Cheerio said...

i don't know! i'm still in complete and utter etc etc. D - please help out!
also, if we WERE discussing what i thought we were discussing, which is a previous prose poem post i wrote, i took it down because i felt i no longer needed it, or that its relevance was lost, and also, with more people reading this than my best friends, i thought it might be appropos to remove it.
still interested?

Just like a guy said...

You talking to me? From the context, probably not. Listen, if nothing else interesting is going to happen tonight, should I just go to sleep?

Cheerio said...

whoops, sorry, despite the context, i was talking to you.
and even if something interesting is going to happen, i'd still advise you going to sleep. it'll all be here in the morning.

Just like a guy said...

So you weren't discussing the Blake poem. How comforting. And yours? You have people who notice if you take down a poem? That's a bit odd.

Meanwhile, of course it'll all be here in the morning, but it's so much more fun to comment when your dead tired.

Anonymous said...

yeh we were i just thought the whole was stupid - myself - and i wanted to extricate myself and it turned into excrutiating myself. so just delete it. thanks. so it wont be there in the morning.

Just like a guy said...

All righty then. I have no idea what that means, and since no one around here seems to have any interest in keeping me awake with their brilliance I will be retiring to my boudoir.

ilanica said...

Um, wow, that's a lot of comments.
I just wanted to say - hi!
Am I the honored colleague? Because I say "shtuff" sometimes. I understand if I'm not, but you know, I do.

I love Sikh buns.
And strictly speaking Bahai are not Muslims.

I'm in the south too, and I'm really hoping I don't re-pick up southernisms that will get me beat up in New York, like yall and fixin' to and maam and so forth. Thankfully Miriam LC came so I can keep back on track.

I missss you, we went over this, but I can't wait till next year.

Kayla's wedding is tonight!!

Okay, bye.

Just like a guy said...

No, that would be me.

Cheerio said...

ilanica! so glad you're here! you've certainly missed some good times. but it's all recorded for your entertainment!
just wait till you see my nephew and i in matching pigtails!
and bahai are NOT muslim, but are arabic/semitic in origin. from iran, to be exact, which is why i included them in the bunch.

oh and honored colleague is trs. you're revered roommate, you know that ;)

have fun with miriam at kayla's wedding! can't wait to see pics!

and i can't wait for next year either. it's gonna be amazing. i'm getting emotional just thinking about it... sniff sniff ;)

Anonymous said...

so? where's the poem? you cant tease us like that. i'd love to see it

Cheerio said...

yes i can ;)

Anonymous said...

:-P
takah, you're right. you can...
do you want me to beg?

Anonymous said...

i have no shame when it comes to poems :)

Cheerio said...

beg all ya want, aint gonna do ya any good!

Cheerio said...

it wasnt a REAL poem. although there are those on the blog. see if you can find them, and i'll post a poem just for you!

Anonymous said...

hey, i've read your work.

what makes a real poem a real poem? it needs a soul to be a poem-even if its a few lines. there are many poems here (in the commentary section) that sound like poems, but dont look like poems

Anonymous said...

ps-did you know that nemo has poems on his site? and really good ones for that matter.

Anonymous said...

Ilanica, don't worry, I also thought you were the honored colleague; what with you calling me "Shmee", "Shtuff" sounds like something I have heard you saying many a time.

e said...

Cheerio, nice post.

Anonymous said...

The taaruvos is worse than I thought. You know what happens when there's taaruvos? We say Chanan!

Just like a guy said...

Wannabe: I also have poems on my blog. Lav Davka so good, but look for yourself.

Tzniut Police: You forgot the shtrichel!

EndOfWorld said...

Poetry, you say? If you direct me to it, my good man, we may have some room for a guest post on my blog

[note: directions include something a bit more substantial than just "on my blog"]

Anonymous said...

It is the gosh darned end of the world! In the good old days, TRS hung out with good Chassidiseh bochurim like e and Nemo. Now? He fraternizing with a bunch of ditzy girls. seriously. You couldn't make it in the masculine regions of the blolgosphere?

Just like a guy said...

End Of World: I don't know if you'll enjoy it much-it's the product of an overtired and deranged mind, desperate to post something but too bereft of intelligible ideas to post something good. Nevertheless, I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Tzniut Police: Maybe if the Bochurim were more Chassidish...

EndOfWorld said...

Shliach: Never promised to post, just to read.

Tzinut Police: did you know that in Israel they are initiating court proceedings against people like you? You better hide, my friend, the arrows are pointing your way.

Anonymous said...

In Lubavitch, arrows are pointing against YOU. And I mean y'all, yea sinful lot. Really, good bochurim and girls CHIT CHATTING!! WAS THIS WHAT WE WERE TAUGHT IN YESHIVA? WAS THIS WHAT Y'ALL WERE TAUGHT IN "HIGH SCHOOL" AND "SEM"? REALLY, HAS KUBAVITCH LOST ALL ITS SCRUPLES? i feel repetative, but it's true; grils and boys do not mix. go read "doesn't anyone blush anymore" and you;ll understand. seriously. it's wrong. plain and simple

Anonymous said...

Where is the Lubavitch of my youth and the youth of my parents?

Anonymous said...

Where is the Lubavitch of my youth and the youth of my parents?

EndOfWorld said...

why are you on a site that's so clearly geared for females?

anyway, Cheerio, if you're reading this, we're waiting for your speech on my site

e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm keeping the "real" shliach out of trouble and making sure the hounds don't follow his scent back home.

EndOfWorld said...

Oh, please.

Just like a guy said...

Tzniut Police, I appreciate your troubles on my behalf. Truly I am grateful for your efforts at my religious preservation.
Cheerio, if you're reading this, we're waiting for a new post on this site.

Cheerio said...

whee! having people actually comment on this blog is so much fun! having to catch up with all the comments when you're busy for a bit, not so much fun, but still worth it.
wannabe - for me a REAL poem simply means something i wrote intending it to be a poem. i assume you saying you read my work means that you either found the stuff on here, or i actually know you, and have shown you my writing. if you found the stuff here, then i guess i owe you a poem!
and no, i didn't know nemo had poems! point me to them!
e - wow, i'm flattered!
as for tp... i'm just enjoying the fact that he said a: y'all and b: yea sinful ones! rock on, righteous dude! bring on the hellstones and brimfire!

Anonymous said...

I Love that you said hellstones and brimfire! i am going to have to remember that!

ilanica said...

I can't wait to go to Hell! I bet there are a lot of boys there!

Just like a guy said...

You want boys so much that you're willing to go to hell for them? Sounds a bit overdone. Perhaps you could give Mrs. Wannabe a call.

EndOfWorld said...

Ilanicia, you're thinking of Islam. Here in Judaism, we encourage marriage before afterlife.

e said...

I was just reading a blog from a disenchanted Muslim, and he wrote that Muslims believe that there are more women in hell because women are more sinful. So if the Muslims are right, I will certainly end up in hell for not being Muslim, but at least there'll be lots of chicks!

e said...

I'm not sure how they also manage to have hordes of 72-virgins harems in heaven if all the women are in hell. Elah machvarta l'fi hasvarah sheheim 72 white raisins.

Anonymous said...

Verily, I swear, yea shall rot in the eternal fires, yea who provoke the Lord of hosts, with your mingling of the sexes and flirtatious flirtation.

Cheerio said...

ooh, eow, i'm totally using that line. now i just need another suitable opportunity to use it!
as for you, trs! i'm just gonna let ilana deal with you!
and tp's...cousins - wanna guest post? think you can work up more than three paragraphs of hellstone and brimfire for our entertainment?

EndOfWorld said...

you know, when you shorten my name, it looks like you're saying "eww" (eow)

try to think of a better nickname

or should that be friday's competition?:)

Cheerio said...

yeah, it does kinda! i'll save my other ideas for friday's contest ;)