Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flying Ants (I Have Too Much To Do To Try To Make This A Chassidishe Post)

Bsd


I'm sitting on my couch, minding my own business (meaning, finding more websites about shoes to look at with yearning), when this wriggly little black bodied ant-like thing with wings lands on my roommate's laptop. 
DO YOU KNOW HOW GROSS THAT IS??
I mean, this is where I sit and eat, read, sleep, talk in my sleep, talk on the phone, write, do my nails, go on line - essentially, that couch is where I live. And now it is being invaded by this horrific flying ants. 
I eyed that little bugger with disgust and a little fear, watching as it writhed between the keys. I wondered if it would get stuck between G and H forever. Finally, finally, finally, it squirmed its' way past the Return key and I was able to blow it off the laptop and onto the table, where I smashed it with a book of Robert Frost poems. 
About five minutes later, another one landed on the pillow next to me. I noticed yet another little bastard crawling on the floor under the table. Realizing that these weren't just fluke bugs that had flown in through a briefly opened door, I looked around for the source of these monstrous creatures. 
I looked up. 
Little black dots peppered the inside of our living room light fixture. 
Little black dots that moved and fluttered. 
I'm still not sure what to do. I'm thinking of spraying Raid in the light, but I'm afraid of poisoning my roommates and myself. 
In the meantime, I'm keeping that Robert Frost book close at hand. 


18 comments:

Just like a guy said...

That truly sounds horrible. I sympathize. I mean it. Are they fruit flies or what?

Cheerio said...

no, they're worse. they're like ants - with wings. biggish ants, too.

Just like a guy said...

Oy. My advice is to spray the little buggers to extinction. What are your roommates going to do, get mad at you for saving their skin?

Cheerio said...

i mean, these things have like two days life span anyway. when my roomies are choking to death on raid fumes, they might wonder why we didnt just wait...

Just like a guy said...

They breed.

Cheerio said...

i feel like i'm living in a horror film... (shudder)

Just like a guy said...

Sounds pretty horrid. Make sure you don't carry any in your clothing and spread it to others...

bonne said...

Hm, I usually take a piece of duct tape and smash the little drips to a mush, AND because its DUCT tape the smush goes up wit the tape! Now all you have to is get to the ceiling...

Just like a guy said...

And if there are millions, what do you do?

bonne said...

Buy a lot of rolls.

Anonymous said...

sounds like termites.

EndOfWorld said...

gross.

I tried to research alternative means to killing little buggers, (as opposed to chemicals) but for some reason, I ended up looking at a website for toys (you long for shoes, I long for toys....for my kids, right?)

So much easier to just chemicalize them and be done with it...f

Just like a guy said...

Sara: cheaper and easier with pesticide.
Anon: it does?
EOW: like all mothers...

Anonymous said...

yes? finish that sentence, and remember, i'm forwarding it to your mom

`endofworld

bonne said...

Not when you don't want your host family to realize your the one who gave them ants...

ilanica said...

Oh. So that's why the light was off.
So Chanah has the Frost poems now huh? Should we tell her? I say - let's do the raid.

Just like a guy said...

EOW: All mothers are always thinking of ways to improve their children's lives.

Anonymous said...

really? they didnt mention that in the manual. I'll have to recheck....

EOW