Thursday, February 12, 2009

That 25 Things Thingy

1. When I was 9, I was anemic. I couldn't swallow the iron pills - those things are as big as horse pills - so my mother taught me how to eat the marrow out of the bones (chicken, steak, etc). This is a habit I retain to this day, which is why when my family goes anywhere where there's steak served - I get the bone. 

2. The nickname my high school friends call me comes from the name of a character in a series of vampire romances they were reading when we met. 
3. My bottom right front tooth is chipped, because of the time I was playing with a little boy and he jumped up unexpectedly and hit the bottom of my chin with the top of his head. 
4. When  I was little, I was scared my family would die and I wouldn't have told them "I love you" before they did. Every night before I went to sleep, I would make the rounds and tell each of them "Good night and I love you". Every time someone left - "I love you". Every phone call - "I love you".  (I think this is still why I say "I love you" so often.)
5. I used to eat frozen peas as a kid, until the time I got carsick and threw peas up all over my lap. I didn't eat peas in any shape or form for years afterward.
6. Now that I've decided I won't be dating for the near future, I keep getting suggestions. 
7. I've wanted to write since I was seven years old. 
8. I'm four feet nine inches (I think). A couple of years ago, I found out that my pediatrician wanted to give me growth hormones when I was a child. My mother consulted with a family friend who was a pediatrician. She said I'd be fine. I'm just barely tall enough to ride without a booster seat in California, but I am fine. 
9. In eighth grade, I lied to my English teacher about completing an assignment because I really hated her, and I hadn't done it. She caught me, confronted me, and called my mother. That was one of the worst days of my life. 
10. I read Dickens when I was nine years old. 
11. My most vivid memory of my grandfather (my mom's dad, who died when I was in sixth grade) is his thick, white hair. 
12. My right index finger is slightly crooked. When I was eleven, I fractured it when it got slammed in a door. I was playing tug-of-war with my younger brother, because I didn't want him to come into my room.
13. I still miss my neighbor's cat, Knika. she used to sit on my lap while I read books on our front porch. 
14. My best friend in my third grade class was a boy, because he was the only one who'd climb up the metal structure and play spaceships with me. 
15. From ages 13 to 17, all my major crushes were at least 5 years older than me. That's what you get from growing up in a college town...
16. I didn't learn how to ride a bike until this past summer (and I'm still not very good).
17. I read trashy romance novels - and I love them.
18. I can paint my own nails - right AND left hands. (Guys, it's tougher than it looks).
19. When I was in middle school, I used to wake up at 6 am to get ready for school. That's how I heard about the WTC attacks - my radio alarm woke me up that morning. I didn't even know what the World Trade Center was. 
20. In 12th grade, I convinced my English principal to let the five of us who wanted a creative writing class to let us do it on our own. And we actually had class. 
21. I'm always challenging the social system that has developed in the frum world, and then encountering situations that make me realize why it's there. I still believe that things can be different - and better. 
22. I'm named after my mother's mother. My mom says I look like her. 
23. I hold my brother's hand when we walk together - even in Crown Heights. 
24. I doodle hearts and trees when I get bored. 
25. I can trace my maturing sexuality in high school by this timeline: First LOTR - I liked Elijah Wood. Second LOTR - Orlando Bloom. Third LOTR - the King himself, Viggo Mortensen. 

30 comments:

Cheerio said...

and sarabonne - you're it.

le7 said...

23. Don't you get stoned for that?

Just like a guy said...

Sometimes there's a thing as too much information.

Just like a guy said...

Sicko.

bonne said...

This was awesome, I didn't know you read Dickens at 9. I'm gonna call you Matilda henceforth. Regarding the 25 thingies...I'll see when I can get to it, my internet is down...(excuses, excuses)

Menucha photography said...

ash;) maybe you should take this post down=) as amusing and well-written as it is, it might make it a bissel harder to find a shidduch. it's none of the bochurim who look at this blog at 3AM's bussiness what you doodle, and who your crushes are..really none of their bussiness, although i did enjoy this post;)

Cheerio said...

LE7 - well, we've survived so far...
TRS - i'm curious. which number was the TMI? and who's the sicko?
sarabonne - matilida! the movie was so much better than the book. roald dahl was creepy. also - you can come use mine!!
menuch - it's all good, don't worry :)

Just like a guy said...

Um, the question is, which wasn't?
Though after your conversation on rationally pious...I should know not to expect anything else.

Rationally pious said...

TRS, and here i thought i had issues. Stop being such a prude.

Cheerio, LOTR? Nice........

I think i actually went to the movie theater in Motown for that one. And i never never go to movie theaters.

Just like a guy said...

I'm a prude? What did I do exactly?

Rationally pious said...

Prude- a person who is excessively or priggishly attentive to propriety or decorum.

Just like a guy said...

And that connects to me how?

Rationally pious said...

"Um, the question is, which wasn't?"

Just like a guy said...

I have a witty line and...?

Rationally pious said...

OK my bad.

bonne said...

Cheerio- its alright, I prefer the book. Creepy is fine...I can relate to it-that was a joke.
TRS & RP-I think I see the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Just like a guy said...

Casablancan I'm not.

e said...

Y'all who aren't ambidextrous enough to paint both hands, what do you do? You need to ask a friend to paint your nails?

bonne said...

You get what is called a "manicure."

e said...

always always always? Every time you want to paint your nails you got to have a professional do it?

bonne said...

Well personally, I don't get my nails done because they'd be ruined the following day. Regarding others, many will get a manicure once a week or, like you said, have a friend help.

le7 said...

Manicure? Snort.

Yeah there are girls who do that.

(Which I think is crazy. Being a musician and all, I could never have long nails anyways).

bonne said...

Well for guitar they can be quite beneficial...or so I have been led to believe.

Cheerio said...

or you don't paint your nails... but if you practice doing it yourself often enough, it's not that hard. and i keep my nails short. or i would scratch my eyes out when i put in/took out my contacts.

le7 said...

Ah, for cello they're awful. Our teachers would make up keep nail clippers on our cases.

Hey, I can paint both hands I just usually don't bother.

bonne said...

I got long nails and Thank G-D I haven't poked my eyes out...it's like you said, it takes practice. (BTW I did the 25 shtick)
LE7-keeping nail clippers handy? That's hilarious...

EndOfWorld said...

ahhh, thank Gd commentors can't be tagged...leaves us free to just lau-I mean, enjoy the viewing

Cheerio said...

you think they can't? maybe i'll just demand a re-opening of the endof blogspot just for this.... :P

Leigh Est said...

Contrary to what everyone else has said so far, Ashirah I really love this post. I think I knew like 6 things out of this list :) and it's great that you were honest when you wrote this- when I did this, I didn't say half of the things I wanted to because I was so worried about what others would say- mainly the same thing that Menucha said... about the shidduchim :) of course!

Anonymous said...

Why didnt i know about this writing class? I would have loved to join! Im to blame for that photography course in 12th grade.