Friday, April 24, 2009

The Alarm Clock and the Sound

Bsd


In a cold room that exists solely within the confines of my
         pretty  little head,
this alarm clock is a weight upon the dresser by my
        cozy little bed,
and it ticks
        (tick tick tick)
and this melancholy quiet sound 
                    echoes.

        On a morning that didn't happen, or may have happened, or always happens,
            I lie on my back with my eyes closed,
                           lonely gray light filters through the shades
                        this alarm clock makes its harshly quiet sound
                                      (tick tick tick)
                              and as I drift back into a drugging sleep,
                                            it fades
                                          away.

It's a warm night,
     heat 
blankets every surface
in this solitary room of my imagining
I drop the alarm clock. 
It bounces,
damaged,
but there it is -
still making its jarring quiet sound
                                                                        (tick tick tick)
                         I am exhausted.
                           of all hope.
                           of making
                                   it
                                 stop. 

12 comments:

Just like a guy said...

It can't be that difficult to turn off an alarm clock...unless it's a biological clock your talking about...

Cheerio said...

:P
although i did have a weird moment on yom tov. i mean, i've always loved kids, and looked forward to having them, but for the first time, when holding a little boy during kedusha in shul, i really just wanted my own.
guess the clock is ticking...

Rachel said...

Nice.

I just looked at your sidebar and it happens to say:

"Where there is a soul, there cannot be a clock." The Kotzker Rebbe

(Not that I'm implying anything. Just saying.)

bonne said...

As I told you before, very nice. You should put up that ceiling piece as a guest post.

Anonymous said...

tick tick tick

Anonymous said...

tick tick tick

Cheerio said...

rachel - it's true. in light of that, how do you interpret this poem? (that's what i love about poems i write under pressure. limited time means i just put the words that pop into my head on paper, and it leaves the poem open for so much interpretation.)
sarabonne - that's a great idea! i'll have to ask him permission next time.

e said...

Oy! I'm so non-poetic. I just don't get this stuff.

Cheerio said...

also - anonymous - huh?

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

e said...

Oh. great to hear that. Now I do I get something that'll shut up anonymous bastards like you?

Just like a guy said...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Rusting_tank_at_the_Highway_of_Death_in_Iraq.jpg