Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Union Square Starbucks

Bsd
Things are a bit busy here in the Union St abode, what with moving and all. Thank G-d (and a handy handyman), we managed to get our couch through the hallway and into the living room with only a minor loss of limbs (the couch's, not ours). 
In the meantime, I'm posting a couple of poems I wrote recently. Because I read them today, and they were pretty damn good.
(Written March 29)

In the space between 
assaulted ears
        and behind 
busy eyes
        there exists
                  a    
         core of silence,  besieged by thoughts:
                                     
                               I love her shoes, oxford heels
                                                                       with a shearling lining  
                   black men look so good 
                                                    when they
            dress classically
                            
            and BAM!

          that woman's wearing bright colors
                                        three kids run 
after their father
 my coffee is too hot
          and milky
   That couple  
 ape bearded man 
 sharply
  rat featured woman 
walked by 
this Starbucks window
                                         just a moment ago

     Manhattan is full,
                                            fast,
                                  and I miss the rhythm of Brooklyn

Breath inhaled, breath exhaled
                        the calm space between lungs
                                            widens
                        even as the nerves in my belly
                                         tighten
                     under the strain of thoughts:

I have less than twenty dollars in my bank account
                         but I really want new shoes
         I wanted to shop today,
         but didn't.
         and damn
         will my roommate be angry when I tell her the cord to her laptop is frayed
                              and won't charge anything anymore
                             the new one won't arrive for a week. 
                                     
                               our security blanket is gone.

          I have to cancel my credit card,
                        because I am too lazy to clean my room
                                           and find it.
                                                     besides, I think I accidentally threw it out
  when I was sick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it :)

Just like a guy said...

I don't know if I'd go that far, but yeah, it's cute.

Anonymous said...

:)

menuch said...

;)